Meet your partners in health data.
Using smart approaches to health data,
Ocean Health Systems design simple,
usable solutions for healthcare, everyday.
We understand your environment
We organise and extract meaning from clinical data to support decision making and surveillance
Ocean Health Systems is an Australian company founded 20 years ago with a mission of enabling integrated care through the controlled sharing of standardised, meaningful personal health information.
Our years of research and development resulted in the openEHR two-level modelling approach, which materialised into the openEHR technical specifications and clinical information models, now maintained by the openEHR Foundation and available for everyone to use.
The openEHR approach is applied across all of Ocean’s business areas including the first commercialised openEHR clinical data repository and online clinical information model governance tool. We provide a suite of clinical applications for infection control, staff health, shared care records, and care planning to governments, hospital, and primary care organisations, which were developed using the openEHR repository and clinical information models.
Ocean advocates for the use of health information standards and has had a long involvement with health IT standards committees. Our contribution to the national and international standards and delivering comprehensive health software solutions has resulted in our reputation in these communities.
As we enter into a new phase in both product and service delivery, more than ever we believe in putting customers first. Making a difference in clinical environments is our focus – technology is just the enabler. We believe a good health solution is one that delivers quality services to all people, when and where they need them.
Each product in our suite is delivered with the end-users in sight. We pride ourselves on including clinicians as active participants in the development and delivery of our products. Our staff, who come from both IT and clinical backgrounds, help us understand our customer’s needs.
Our systems use standardised, high-quality, accurate and clinically verified health data
As a health solution provider specialist, Ocean works with national eHealth programs, government health departments, public and private hospitals, primary care providers and software vendors.
Our key achievements can be summarised as follows:
- Initiated and fostered the authoring of the internationally agreed openEHR clinical models;
- Provider of the preferred openEHR clinical model repository and governance tool used by 2200 users in 95 countries and separate instances for multiple national eHealth organisations;
- Enterprise-scale infection surveillance implementation for 120 hospitals with 1.2 million admissions and 1.5 million laboratory results per year for 2.2 million patients, running for over 6 years;
- Shared care planning solution for 3500 chronically ill patients managed by 80 general practices across 3 regional primary health networks;
- Shared health records for 120,000 primarily Indigenous people across an area of 1.4 million square kilometers. The solution was a case study to demonstrate the benefits of the Australian national electronic health record and referenced by the World Health Organisation;
- Solution Architecture consulting to an Australian department of health for system integration with national electronic health record project involving 5 software vendors; and
- System Integration consulting to an Australian health department to specify the mappings of HL7 laboratory result messages into an openEHR clinical data repository.
Our major clients include Queensland Health (Australia), Canadian-based Health Service (Canada), Nasjonal IKT HF (Norway), HiGHmed Medical Informatics (Germany).
Our solutions are scalable to suit any size organisation, care setting and budget. We can deploy with little to no disruption to operations, incorporating legacy infrastructure to create total interconnectivity. Just ask our clients across international and national departments of health, health networks, large hospitals, aged care providers and smaller practices alike.
We are a GLOBAL FOCUSED team offering innovative solutions based on SMART DATA. Built on the work of our founders, we acknowledge their contribution to the innovative design of health data and pay tribute to their contribution by designing products and services that use SMART DATA as the foundation
As a team, we encourage innovation and the development of world-leading solutions. We are a group of smart, creative, health-focused team players working to shift cultural focus from individuals to what we can achieve as a community.
View our current vacancies or enquire today.